When was the last time you played? Play is not only for kids but is just as important for adults. Play has many physical and mental health benefits. Research indicates that play:
- Relieves stress and depression symptoms by releasing endorphins that make you feel good
- Builds connections with others through sharing fun and laughter. Play can also alleviate stressful situations during awkward or new introductions. Team building activities in business or social situations can break the ice and make everyone feel more relaxed
- Improves brain function through challenging activities that require thinking or problem-solving
- Promotes creative thinking by stimulating your brain and imagination
- Increases your energy level and immune system, building resistance to illness
There are many forms of play and it doesn’t matter which one you participate in, but what’s important is that you actually schedule play into part of your day. You can play with your kids, your partner or your cat, it will not only benefit you but will benefit them as well.
What do you do to have fun? What makes you laugh and makes you feel good? Whatever it is, go do it! Healthy, happy people, have a good balance in life. Play is an integral part of life. Now go have some fun!